Re: SEUL: Stopping dreams

> The "problems" mentioned were that we didn't have a fallback mode if we
> started X automatically.

During kernel start-up, with the cool penguin and a spinner on the
screen... Is it possible to detect and respond to a keypress? It
sounds kinda easy but I was wondering if it was possible? If so, the
user could read the small text on the bottom right of the screen
which says press F8 if you're computer is screwed.

Pressing F8 gives them a menu-driven textmode screen where they can
do stuff to fix their computer (once the kernel has finished
starting).

The friendliest method would be a safe-mode type arrangements,
starting X with real basic screenmode etc etc (I think this has
already been mentioned) if X does not start up correctly. I think
getting users to change consoles and login as root and do all that
kinda stuff would be pretty evil for your average bogan.
\|/ Ben Nolan - b.nolan@softhome.net \|/