Re: SEUL: Text editors.

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> I'm done arguing about this. My point is not that there's no merit in your
> idea of doing the edit.com port. But it's not priority 1 by a long way.
> Hacking something that's already there is easier. The installation
> process, as it stands, is 1,000,000 times as hard as using pico. The
> edit.com idea isn't bad, but there are more immediate concerns.
>
> > It may not be so much work now that I have tryed mcedit
>
> I just tried it too. As a console editor, it's great. The only thing that
> seems wierd is that it doesn't put the menus on top of the screen till you
> click there (wierd, huh ? ) But the mouse support was nice (no other
> console editor has good mouse support) I think it looks like a very strong
> candidate as a console editor.
>
> I'll write a serious review of it when I have more energy.
>
> > ( the edit mode
> > of Midnight Comander ).  This is a part of the masive 1.7 meg mc
> > executeble
>
> This is incorrect. I do rpm -qi and it tells me that mc takes up
> about 773 meg. And about 270 of that can easily be deleated if we just
> need the editor (/usr/lib/mc is a pile of tools for handling files as far
> as I can tell, the editor is emodied in the 397k executable)
>
> We would be left with a 500k editor. This is smaller than:
>
> Pine
> Joe
> Vim
> way smaller than emacs
> smaller than micro-emacs
>
> In other words, not that bad. Though smaller would be nicer.
>
> > Objective ? ... Try this on for size.  KDE, GNOME, SEUL and a few other
> > gropes have all come to the conclusion that ease of use means similar
> > look and feel between apps.  Most of them are working on or planing to
> > use X based editors that look and work like notepad.  Bill in one of his
>
> If we really want consistency, we need the GUI editors to behave the same
> way as our choice of console editor. BTW, that's one point to medit over
> xe, since medit uses ALT-{key} to bring up the right menu.
>
> In other words, if we're shooting for consistency, the thing to do is
> choose a 'pair' of editors, not just one.
>
> That's another issue I'll factor into my reviews next update.

You finaly get my point ... on my system I get.
ls -l /usr/bin/mc
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1703173 Jan 18 19:55 /usr/bin/mc
mcedit is just a simlink to that file ( it works differently depending
on how it's invoked ) ... I now have the sorces to mc but can't do
much compile test ( the edit is in it's own sub dir and may compile
independently ).
What causes a "Signal 11" error in my compiler ?  ... This happens all
the time with all code ... and reloading gcc didn't fix it.

: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."