Re: SEUL: Text editors.

On 17-Feb-98 Kevin Forge wrote:
- -> The people who are familer with pico allready have an editor, what's
- -> so wrong in giving the Windows > Linux converts an editor they don't
- -> need to lern ?

I would agree with this except it isn't true.  Few Windows users ever use
edit.com.  If they can't use notepad for some reason they call a guru or tech
support.  The simple fact of being at the command line intimidates them.

- -> It's not "difficult", it's just not intuitive to someone who has never
- -> seen an editor like it before.  All software is like this.  edit.com
- -> is intuitive to Windows users simply because they have already used
- -> something like it.

Not true.  I have a family full of CI (computer illiterate) users that I would
have to talk through even edit.com.  The fact of the commands being displayed
at the bottom of the screen would make it easier for them.

- -> And you can harp all you want about other platforms.  Users on other
- -> Platforms are satisfied with what they have so SEUL will be attracting
- -> 12 Windows victims for each person from somewhere else.
- -> Later in its life cycle SEUL will start getting a few "Computer virgins"
- -> Maybe version 3.11 :)

A reference to Win 3.11?

- -> It may not be so much work now that I have tryed mcedit ( the edit mode
- -> of Midnight Comander ).  This is a part of the masive 1.7 meg mc
- -> executeble
- -> now all we need to find out is if it can be "extracted" and compiled
- -> seperatly,  then the modifications wold by minor.

Sure it can.  Might take some doing if the code is mixed up with the main MC
portion instead of being modular.  But the size of it will be a factor.  We
need to keep it down so it can go on floppy without taking up too much space.

As long as I've used MC, I never saw it's stand alone editor until your post.  I
have to agree it would be a better choice of all that are mentioned.  It looks
quite a bit like a console version of Nedit.

- -> command line tools.  This is why they went out of there way to make
- -> edit.com work like notepad.

Actually edit.com came from Qbasic.  It might have been what notepad was based
on but not the other way around.  The original edit.com was "qbasic /editor" if
I remember correctly.

- ---
E-Mail: Cyberdyn@seul.org       Date: 17-Feb-98        Time: 02:18:59
I love you more than anything in this world.  I don't expect that will last.
                -- Elvis Costello