Re: SEUL: A Linux Annoyance

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> Here's some concern I have based on a news group post by a SEU.
>
> The post was by some guy who hit ^S while using vi. Apparently, he
> couldn't work out how to exit vi, so he tried all the control-combos. He
> ended up (of course) suspending the console, and concluded that 'vi had
> made linux crash' and therefore that 'linux was crap'. Might it be worth
> disabling the suspend-console feature  in the default configuration ? Or
> at least modify so that ^S writes
> "console suspended, hit ^Q to resume"
> to stderror ?

Might be better to make sure the user dose not touch VI right away. :)
There could be a good reason for suspending the consul ... there just
aren't any good reasons for hitting ^S .
Onles you are in a program you don't know how to exit.
Speaking of which ... a consol/X "task manager would be nice.
one that lests all running progs and allows you to kill with a
mousclick or a key press.
If it had a description of each process ( "chrond dose nice things
with time and is responsible for certain automatic jobs ... don't
kill onles you know what you are doing" ) that would be neat.
We couldn't describe everything of course.  but the popular demons
at least would be helpful.
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."