Re: SEUL: Stopping X

The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > Sorry for my ignorance, but how do XDM and SVGAlib affect each other ?
> No, it is just that there was a proposal (wasn't it yours? :) that we
> should use an svgalib-based login screen in leiu of XDM. SVGAlib, while
> more reliable than X on unknown video hardware, is still a possible point
> of failure that we don't need to risk. Not to mention that XDM has already
> been written.

I never mentioned SVGAlib.  I made that suggestion at a point where XDM
was
being made out to look like a hopeless case ( if something goes wrong
you will
at least need a boot diskette and some serius hacking ).
I have had SVGAlib + DOOM cause my display to show a screen full of ansi
on
all VTs, calling for a vulcan nerve pinch ( the simplest of the
available
solutions ).
Since XDM can now be made to work consistently we shuld move on to more
pleasant
maters.  like changing the way lilo looks by default.  i.e.  a colored
menu
with a visible timer ticking away.  You would then use the arrow keys to
select
an OS ( the timer would stop once you have touched an arrow ).  Newbis
will want
to dual boot ( if only to play Fifa 98 )
If this sounds familiar, that's because it's System Commander and the
BOOT
Managers from OS/2 and NT.
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."