Re: SEUL: Stopping X

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
> The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > No, that is only one point of XDM. There are a lot of other reasons.
> > Not having to restart X, preventing people from dropping back to text mode
> > and panicking (unless they need to:), avoiding another failure-point
> > (SVGAlib) and a number of other reasons.
> Sorry for my ignorance, but how do XDM and SVGAlib affect each other ?
No, it is just that there was a proposal (wasn't it yours? :) that we
should use an svgalib-based login screen in leiu of XDM. SVGAlib, while
more reliable than X on unknown video hardware, is still a possible point
of failure that we don't need to risk. Not to mention that XDM has already
been written.

> > > ( startex only works when X is down )
> > ??? you can run startx whenever.
> It just won't do anything but display a text message and halt.
Thankyou Kevin, I feel much better now. I felt really dreadful when I
repeated this statement of yours to the list, but now you have reiterated
it yourself, I feel no such guilt.
startx requires arguments to tell it not to use the first available
display, but if you give it that argument, it will happily run as many
side-by-side X-servers as you have RAM for.

-Greg Bastow("Treacherous virtues, virtuous theives;
             The hearts of machines all pound when you breathe"
             -MoLG: Rite of Shiva