RE: SEUL: Text editors: update

On 22-Feb-98 Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> This is correct . RedHat complains since both versions want to 'own'
> /usr/bin/wish, but this is (usually) actually a non-issue (it's just a
> link).
>
> -- Donovan

Debian has an interesting way of doing it.

You have /usr/bin/wish4.2 and wish8.0. /usr/bin/wish points to
/etc/alternatives/wish which is where you set the link to the one that you want
to be the default.  The newest package will install itself as the default link
but it alerts you to this so that you can set it back if you want.

It works pretty good.  For example, my vi is linked to gvim through
/etc/alternative/vi.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org