Re: SEUL: Re: Resignation as seul-install leader

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> Aldo.
>
> Why all distributions from Debian to Caldera just suck?  Because they
> are designed by people who lerned Unix in universities so they are
> just unable to figure what are the problems met by new Linux users.
> Linux users have not the opportunity of a gentle introduction to Unix.
> >From the start they have to become involved in system administartion
> and sometimes kernel recompiling.  So I am mad when I see a
> distribution who does not try hard to make than kernel recompilings no
> longer be a necessity: kernel compilings can make a potentaial user
> flee.  I am mad when I see a distribution assume than we have LANs at
> home.  I am mad when I see a distrib assuming than all people live in
> USA where phone is cheap so they can read news online.  I am mad when
> I see a distribution assuming all people will like LateX and not
> trying to find a Wysywyg for their users.

Yes. Your message is one of these I agree with everything you say. Like
reading a great book.

>I am mad because all these
> things translate into users returning to DOS in frustration.  So I am
> not in awe in front of distribution developpers.

> Another point is learn to think like an end user: do not look how
> great is your distribution.  Ask yourself one thing: How far is that
> distribution from allowing my sister going to Linux.  Because the day
> your sister will be able to use Linux IT WILL BE THE END OF MICROSOFT.
> At times it seems than I am the only one in this list knowing his
> sister is NOT a real man.

Even an OS educated sister may have a problem going Linux as it is now.
I am a developer (used UNIX quite a bit) I installed Linux (Debian)  8
month ago. I love it, but still do not use it as much as I should. Why?
I needed PPP connection. Couple of days of work. Network Card: Another 2
days.  I still do not have sound for Kids games. I am not willing to
spend the time learning and doing the compile. I AND OTHERS JUST DO NOT
HAVE THE TIME TO INSTALL/SETUP LINUX. Lets remember: Things take a lot
of time to do for the first time.

I tried to persuade my boss to try Linux. We bought Caldera and after 2
day effort it did not install. Do you think we will be using it in the
office instead of Windows 95?

The really BROAD use of Linux really comes down to this:

1. Easy of installation, including auto-configuration.
2. Easy, fully graphical software configuration.
3. Never show the command line, unless user wants it.
4. Office - type Applications. This is not as important, as people can
buy good ones for reasonable prices.

Your idea to piggy back on other distributions is great.

I do not have experince with miscelaneous distributions, but: If we
could just start with packaging EXISTING, available pieces into eh,
"more user friendly, simple Linux distribution", the world would be
easier place to live in. Then we would evaluate what is still missing
and take it from there.

--
----
Java now and to the next Millennium! - Visit http://www.javalobby.org

"We're giving away a pretty good browser as part of the operating
 system. How long can they [Netscape] survive selling it?"
 -Steve Ballmer, Microsoft executive vice president of sales and support
  Forbes, January 1997
-----