Re: SEUL: Re: Resignation as seul-install leader

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

<sniped it all in my impatience>
I look at it and I scratch my head and look at it again.  It just keeps
coming back to the same illogical conclusion.  It would be easier to
simply
add RPM support to Debian than to make all the RPM distros use DPKG.
The Distros fall into 3 camps.  SlackWare with no packaging sheam ( they
use standard *.tgz files ).  Debian with DPKG and everybody else with
RPM.
RPM is a program.  Basic RPM functionality can be added to Slackware
with
minimal effort ( I did it when I was still a newbi ).  Adding all the
nifty
RPM features and making Debian and Slackware remain as they are but
support
"rpm -U foo.rpm" as well as RedHat dose is far simpler than any other
solution I have herd.  It even beats storing the files in multiple
formats.
BTW : I do not like SRPMs and consider them clumsy and ineficent.  If
you
will be compiling anything you will first be able to use "tar -zxvf
foo.tgz".
So SRPMs should be ruled out.  This repository will do fine as an RPM
only
site.
check out ftp://ftp.suse.com/SuSE-Linux/5.1/suse/
for an idea of the sort of arrangement I would like.  files with 8.3
names
so that it doesn't complicate the lives of DOS/Win95/WinNT users who
want
to haul them around in any way.  i.e. Typical senario, user gets RedHat
and to put it on an old machine with no CD-ROM, he copies it to C:\ on
his
Windows drive then Laplinks it to the other machine using DOS or hauls
it
onto a zip disk then he instals and gets a million errors about files
not
found.
--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."