Re: SEUL: Common SEUL/e-linux tools needed

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> I SEE.  Now THIS, THIS is a good idea.  yay.  This gives us a way to make
> GUI tools out of non-GUI tools.

MOST intriguing innovation...  Yes, I do indeed beleive we should pursue
this idea.  Most intriguing indeed...

> Developing the rule language for the TCL script will be the hard part.
> Associating buttons and sliders with switches and values is easy, but
> generating the config file based on it - that's hard.  Imagine trying to
> configure, say, Sendmail in this way.  :)

That would ROCK.

Configure sendmail for UUCP/SMTP mail delivery?
UUCP Server:
SMTP Server:
etc.  Cool, very cool.

> Can we use M4 or do we have to do this all ourselves?

I don't really like the idea of a config tool on top of a config tool.  I
think we should manipulate and read from the sendmail.cf directly.  What
if the person needs to edit the sendmail.cf to modify a ruleset?  And then
we rush in a blot it out with m4?

> Fortunately, there are very few things that can't be expressed as a
> checkbox, radio button, drop-box, or slider.  :)

What about --version?:)

This is deffinitely something worth pursuing.  Now, if I can only find
that issue of LJ that talked about wish...  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
 I call things as I see them; If I didn't see them, I make them up!