Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ?

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> As has been pointed out by someone else, KDE and Qt seem to be very
> non-reentrant.  If one part of KDE freezes, the entire system goes with it.
> Since all your apps are dependent on one component (which sounds from the
> description to be an actual process), if it goes away, you're hosed.  If
> that's your definition of a "complete desktop", gimme my vi back!

My choice would be for fvwm or fvwm2 and goodstuf or fvwm-buttons.  These
are well documented, easy to auto-add menus items to, and a user can pick
up the documentation for custom configuration rather quickly.

I think the default desktop should be kept simple yet extensable.

Until the utopian "complete" desktop is available, a simple suite of
things like tkdesk, tkmail, filerunner, and knews should give the user a
nice platform for launching programs, managing local and remote
filesystems, reading mail, and reading news. ez-ppp or xISP can be looked
at, I have not used them but am willing to have a serious look as I do
have a couple of dialup lines to the home system that I can use for
testing.

I even recently saw a GUI interface for ipfwadm in c.o.l.a.

What functions are most needed?  It would help me if I know exactly what
functionality is needed so I could start comparing apps and looking for
things.

Look at what comes with windows by default ... wordpad, a cardfile
database, etc.  I do not think we need to get extremely fancy with the
basic default system but that is my personal opinion.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org