SEUL: more on hardware

Just one more note before the computer between my ears crashes for
the night.  I never expected the responses to my posting would come
as fast as a game of ping-pong...

When the system boots into basic VGA mode to install, after installing
defaults, if a basic Hayes compatible modem is found, the data files for
detecting and configuring hardware on the CD-ROM could be updated by
modem... FTP if user has internet, or (maybe) a very quick direct dial to a
BBS dedicated to that purpose... am I thinking too far ahead?

The trend for PC makers to use corrupt non-standard hardware ("Win-modems")
I find very alarming.  I _hope_ that it doesn't get worse than it already
is... another way M$ is trying to screw everyone out of their free choice.