Re: SEUL: Mail got bounced: Here are a few msgs that didn't get through...

> On 24 Jan 1998 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>

> > For designing a good Office suit it is more important to have good
> > ergonomists and good font designers than good programmers.
> >
> I don't think so...  Linux has some nice fonts, BTW.  Win95 has nice
> fonts.  Win95 have three or four full-blown office suites.  Win95's office
> suites have telephone support.  MS Office has good ergonomists and good

You don't undersytand.  There are kinds of software where programing
is nor so difficult, nor critical because speed is not really the
factor.  An Office suite is good when it has a good user interface,
not when it is superfast because CPU consumption is near 0 most of the
time.

And in the purely programmatic part you will beat commercial software
if you get more and better programmers than them.  But you will not
attract people to something as boring and unglamorous as an Office
Suite.  You will attract them to kernels, compilers or Image
manipulation software.  An Office suite?  Just try, you will be two or
three.

> font designers.  Why are they switching to Linux?  GOOD PROGRAMMERS!
> Ergonomists, pah, the morons that designed those "ergonomic" keyboards -
> apox on ergonomics!

A kernel IS something who requitres good programming.

> > For that
> > reason and because it is nor so fun nor so prestigious to write the
> > free software community have never produced products able to compete
> > with commercail software.
> >
> Huh?  I don't understand what you're saying, you totally mashed that
> sentance...
>
> > The one thing we can do is dispelling the myth than there is no Office
> > suits for Linux.  I have seen many people who were very ignorant about
> > what is available for Linux.  Include a catalog of what is available,
> > so than they can look in and find what they need.  Better having them
> > use Applixware with Linux than Word with Windows95.
> >
> Check out http://www.linuxmall.com
>
> BTW, why don't you get started on writing an office suite for Linux?  I
> would, but I've got WAAY to much on my plate right now...  Do you know C?
> TTYL!

Know C?  Yes.  But real men don't use office suites.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez