Re: SEUL: SEOL Text EDITOR

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Sailesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Well if emacs is too large, there are quite a few "emacs-like" editors like joe
> and jed which are small enough, and offer a comfortable home for a new user.
> Definitely more comfortable than vi.

More comfortable if you use emacs.  I find vi more comfortable than emacs
probably because I use it.  We need a text editor like pico that lets the
user use the arrow keys, backspace over text to erase it &c.

Debian ships with ae ... at least it gives you a help screen at the top of
the page.

> In any case, I feel that people often underestimate the abilities of the
> average user. I'm not saying that I feel the average user is willing to make an
> effort .. just that results are often surprising.

If they are going to have to learn anything other than <return> to add a
blank line or anything other than <up-arrow> to move the cursor up a line,
it is probably too complex.

If people read manuals, we would not need SEUL.

How do you get around the 6Meg size of emacs? One boot floppy and six
editor floppies are not an option.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org