Re: SEUL: New Test

On 24 Jul 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> Paul Anderson writes:
> > And, what if a user needs something done that smail can't but sendmail
> > can do?
>
> Then they have an unusual situation and will need to install sendmail.
>
> > For instance, my ISP configured UUCP in a really braindead fashion, so it
> > changes paul@geeky1.ebtech.net to geeky1!paul,...
>
> That's a normal UUCP bang path, which I believe smail handles with no
> touble (though I haven't tried it).
>
> > I had to edit the sendmail rewriting rules directly to get sendmail to
> > not try to send the message to another system.
>
> Anyone capable of doing that is also capable of figuring out that she needs
> sendmail and installing it.  We can't provide for all possible situations.

Great discussion, I'll add my two cents.  Yes we can't provide for all
possible situations, but the situation cited sounds like one that will
affect numerous users that lack the skills to handle the situation.
And there will be many more situations like this.  Each such situation is
another barrier for some segment of users.  In this situation we are
lucky because we thought of it before the user has to.  I recommend
that we accomodate bang UUCP and an as many similar situations as we
can.

Regards