Re: SEUL: Is this project still alive?

> I returned from holidays and still have not had any message from this
> list.  I looked in the Web archive and did not found any message in July.
>
> --
> 			Jean Francois Martinez
>
> ==================== The Linux.  Use the Linux, Luke! =======================

> in the body of the letter.

Yeh, this list has been very active this month, (although it's tapered off much
this week).

I'm still wondering what happened to a post I accidently sent to one of the
more active members (don't remember who), and asked him to forward it to the
list? (I didn't keep a copy for myself).

Also at the recommendation of someone else on the list, I checked out Figurine.
I was VERY impressed.  As far as system configuration I have always thought
that a configuration GUI should:
	1)	configure using standard Unix config files and standard
			daemons.
	2)	Be FULLY-configurable.  (not limit the user's choices just
			because they're using the GUI.)  Allow all options that
			the man page says are availible in the text-file config
			to be setable/modifiable in the GUI.  (Doing this in
			the context of shell scripts may take a little AI, or
			at least a REALLY GOOD parser)
		Caveat:	some man pages don't enumerate all bugs/limitations of
				a configuration option.  we would have to do
				research on this ourselves. (ie. In creating
				a custom window decoration in FVWM 1.24? I
				found a limit of 16 points in a custom
				decoration, that is not mentioned in the
				man page.)
	3)	should be MODULAR!  Each package for SEUL could include a
			data file for our configuration GUI.
These options I feel should be fully implemented for SEUL, although, we might
want to allow the sys-admin to hide a configurable set of options from the
end user (to limit confusion)... In fact, we may want to have the default SEUL
installation to have certain options default to hidden (or maybe grey) even
for the sysadmin unless they unhide/ungrey the options that we've marked as
unimportant/waste-of-time.

Also, repeating Jean's concern, why is the mailing list archive so out of date
??  I've been on majordormo list serves b4, and many had automatic real-time
web page archives.  Can we do something like that??? (I've even seen sorted by
Author/Subject/Date/thread)...Just my 2 cents.

Loren Osborn