Re: SEUL: Mailing list archives

> Also, repeating Jean's concern, why is the mailing list archive so out of
> date??  I've been on majordormo list serves b4, and many had automatic
> real-time web page archives.  Can we do something like that??? (I've even
> seen sorted by Author/Subject/Date/thread)...Just my 2 cents.

Well, I checked the archive on www.seul.org and it seems to be fine.  I'll
scan through the subject list to see if there's anything missing, but the
latest is there.  Even my previous mail, which I still don't have in *my*
inbox.

As far as features for the archive, here's what I have configured now:

Mail hits seul@www.seul.org, goes through mh, into MHonArc, which appends the
message to the archive.  A bg job is then spawned with a lockfile to wait 5
minutes and update the WebGlimpse tables (since that's a proc-intensive job).

I will be attempting to split the archive pages weekly (or monthly?) so
there's less to browse through at once, as well as less for WebGlimpse to
reindex every 5min.

If anyone has suggestions for different archiving software to use, e-mail me
and we can see if that may be a better choice for what we're doing.

        Erik Walthinsen - Programmer, webmaster, 3D artist, etc.   __
 /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314    / /  \
|    | M E G A  omega@aracnet.com         Home: (503)281-4281   / / /\ \
_\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS       / / /\ \ \
Omega Station: http://www.aracnet.com/~omega/                /________\ \ \