Re: SEUL: Package managers

Randy Heineke writes (about Tcl/Tk incompatibility):
> John, maybe Tcl/Tk should be avoided.

Well, there may be reasons to use it that outweight the reasons to not.

> I have heard of this happening with many other tools as well.

The only libraries I've experienced it with are the Tcl/Tk ones.

> As far as I can tell, it often occurs when authors strive for
> compatibility, but an oversight was not discovered in testing.

As far as I can tell, the Tcl/Tk authors make no attempt at compatibility.

> I don't see how this can be avoided, maybe you see it more clearly and
> could share some pointers.

Shrug.  You do lots of testing, you release betas, and you treat
incompatibilities as bugs.

> What tells the old program to use the old library and the new program to
> use the new library?

The version numbers.
jghasler@win.bright.net    Do with it what you will.