SEUL: Cross-platform

I'm sorry to throw another variable into the equation, but I'd just like
to bring up and (hopefully) quickly resolve another issue that will
probably come up eventually, anyway: cross-platform compatibility.

Although I am a big fan of alternative platforms, particularly the
Macintosh and PPC hardware, it is my opinion that we should resolve to
consider the issue of non-x86 platforms only after a preliminary release
has been issued. To be sure, the vast bulk of our code will be extremely
portable, but actually delivering a non-x86 version will have roadblocks
that we're not equipped to deal with on such short staff, and it will be
one more distraction we don't need at this time. Volunteer efforts to
perform ports, of course, should be readily accepted and encouraged.

One roadblock is access to equipment. I've used MkLinux a fair bit, but
I don't currently have access to a machine running it. I imagine that
access to other non-x86 equipment is similarly constrained.

Another pitfall is that SEUL may rely upon software or code that is not
available on other platforms as of yet. MkLinux currently requires MacOS
for installation as well as booting (although Linux-pmac does not), and
MkLinux is currently undergoing a transition from static libraries to
shared libraries. This is just scratching the surface of potential
"little problems" that could arise if we attempt to simultaneously
release and support SEUL for multiple platforms.

This may be obvious to many of you, but I'm just airing my thoughts.

MJP
--
Michael J. Peck
Hewlett-Packard, Convex Division