Re: SEUL: Partitioning

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Randy Heineke wrote:

> I didn't quite understand the loopback and mkext2 thing.
>
> What does this mean to somone who buys a second drive to have room for Linux
> and wishes to avoid the dangers of partitioning?

If you have a new, empty 2nd hard disk drive, use it all for Linux if you
can, by making one large Linux partition (and possibly a swap partition).
Loopback means that you can mount a file on one filesystem as if it was a
seperate partition, like Stacker and Double/Drivespace do under DOS/Win95;
in the case of Linux, you have a large file like C:\LINUX.DRV, then under
Linux you run "mke2fs /dosc/linux.drv ; mount /dosc/linux.drv /usr" with the
loopback module loaded (needs kernel 2.0.x). Loopback also allows encrypted
file systems and other interesting stuff.

--
Thomas Molesworth            (thomas@bass.almac.co.uk)