Re: SEUL: User Profiles (?)

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> You are mixing Linux beginner and end user.  You were NOT an end user
> when starting to use Linux.  Think about what would sell Linux to your
> Ma and Pa.
I will tell you what would sell linux to my mother and father,
absolutely nothing.  My parents are from the pre-television era and have
no interest in computers at all. Is this truely the 'target' audience
you are looking for?? If so then we may as well stop wasting bandwidth
and get about doing other things because there ain't no way that this
'target' audience would get a computer much less linux if on the other
hand the target is of the 'pong' generation then there may be a chance.
And let us not overlook the 'ninetendo' generation.  So what are we
aiming at here????
The Pong generation, IMHO is most likely the target simply because the
Ninetendo wants flash and ease of use (which linux ain't).

Oh and one further little point that I may have misinterpreted I thought
that anyone that used a program was an end user (which in many cases
will also be a linux beginner)

> I think than for end users an installation must be pretty directive
> for installing a minimal set of tools: no use in making them choose
> between editors they do not know what they do.  It is to us to choose
> a good one and include it in what is installed as a standard.  Of
> course at end of install we could have an experts-only option to
> install more things.
>
> --
>                         Jean Francois Martinez

Heavens to Bill Gate, is this what we are reducing Linux to another
windows???
What we should be attempting to determine is not a 'standard' but what a
new linux user would want.  Even more in my opinion we should play on
those strong points of linux that would make someone want to use it (we
can pretty much discount ourselves here as we all are hooked already).
Stop and think about what would a new user want in a system that is
different/better then what is offered to a new user of D/W/S7.  There
have been many good suggestions made in the list so far, covering a wide
range of topics but to my mind the part that has been missing is why a
person with a computer would want to install linux.  Multitasking, who
gives a rats patoot my computer does what I (note the I) want it to do,
networking again who gives a big whoop I only have one computer who am I
gonna network with.  Internet connectivity, heck windows does the
internet a whole lot easier the linux (don't believe me just take a look
at alt.os.linux and see how many are asking about getting connected to
the internet, in particular ppp setup with modems.
I guess what I am attempting to get at is why should I go from a known
way of operating the computer I have to one that I don't know about and
that carries the negativism of UNIX with it??

                   Greg