Re: SEUL: Re: Proposal for using a single mailing list [was Re: Oneend-user distribution?]

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Michel Stam wrote:
>
> > Well, from a user-point of view, I don't think that the console would do much good
> > trying to convert people to Linux.
>
> I don't see how a curses based install would slow the adoption of linux
> provided that it works. The people who start a curses installation will
> not stop midway just because it doesn't use VGA mode. And they will not
> run away from linux if the installation goes flawlessly.

They won't stop midway, as long as the installation configures itself. Remember, however
that people who use Windows, which at the moment covers the largest segment of computer
users, expect a graphical installation. Those users can only be reached by showing them
something very similar in appearance, only better.

> > Well, actually, most window managers have a ppp-config program (KDE surely has it,
> > GNOME has it for instance). I see those programs scrolling by on Freshmeat sometimes,
>
> yep. But it doesn't run as part of the install. The user has to poke
> around and find the program before they can start to setup ppp. Don't you
> think it would be better if they were prompted ?

Well, download it and incorporate it into your installation process. Or, install it with
the Window Manager you supply, and provide a link to it on the desktop. You could devote a
few lines to configuring ppp using a utility for this in the manual or documentation you
ship with your distribution, so the user knows where to find it. Let the user know it is
there, and your problem is solved.

Regards,

Michel