Re: SEUL: Re: Website redesign

It's about putting a human face onto it all instead of the usual highly
technical Linux sites. This is what I suggested about 2 months ago but of
course noone commented.

Laurent and I have been playing with graphics for this - we could come up
with something very cool and jolly but what about the university lot?

This is an interesting design issue since people will have different
expectations from the site depending on where they're coming from.
University lecturers for example have completely different requirements to
primary school teachers and probably quite different tastes. Parents and
primary teachers would come away very impressed with visuals similar to
Disney and the like whereas Lecturers would probably find that irritating.

A few little Java activites for the young ones would be good - good
publicity, good at pulling the punters in.

I'm wondering if it's not worth splitting the site up a bit so that everyone
can access all the info but it would be much quicker for users to access the
info. that's most relevant to them.

I did mention - most heavily - months ago that I'd like to see the site
themed as a "community centre" for tech. people and teachers/parents/kids to
get together and achieve things. With this notion, there's no reason why we
couldn't have a generic entrance with themed zones for primary, secondary,
university, pre-school etc.

I could certainly do a very cool pre-school and primary zone since this is
my profession after all - the artist here's keen on doing that as well.

Roman.