Re: Good points of non-Linux OS's? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:14:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Daniel Thom <dath@dilbert.sequent.com>
To: "Erik Walthinsen (Omega)" <omega@eng2.sequent.com>
Subject: Re: Good points of non-Linux OS's?

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Erik Walthinsen (Omega) wrote:

> <arma> pnp support, clean install/uninstall shields, vendor support,
> <arma> consistent user interface. what else?

	To point out the obvious, we not only would need a consistent user
interface, but it must also be a SIMPLE (ie *S*eul) user interface.

	This is to say that programs such as emacs have a consistent user
interface, but *NOT* simple!

	The more advanced, or perhaps even the beginning user should also
have the choice of their consistent interface.  This is one huge advantage
that X has over Winblows.  The ability to choose is always nice, even for
the beginner, though good defaults are needed.  Perhaps the user wouldn't
even have a choice at initial install (this is an implementation issue
obviously, but hey...), but could then later change it when they are more
comfortable with what they are doing.

	Linux is a powerful programming platform, why break that?  Give
advanced users the ability to customize for this.  Simple doesn't mean
that an advanced user wouldn't use it if they had the correct
configuration available.
IE. I develop under windows, but I am an advanced user and I really wish
that I could have a better environment to work in that is easy to set up.
I don't want to spend the majority of my useful programming time working
on setting up my working environment.  I want to click a couple buttons
and have a magically correct and customizable interface.

	That's just my two cents worth:->

	TTFN,
	-dath

Daniel Thom			 File Systems Technician