Re: 0x011 (look and feel)

[  Benjamin: >> via Bob: > ]

>>  As I can see there is no questions regarding the feel and look of
>> the GUI of the ideal OS. For example, the importance of drag and
>> drop, or the importance of a FM instead of a logical programlisting
>> (like the 'start'-menu in win9x).

Okay, how about:

How important is:
... Being able to copy data between applications?
... Being able to 'drag and drop' data from one application to another
... Being able to 'drag' data from one point to another within an
application

     Q's 1&2 are similar, but the former implies the use of a temporary
memory area (clipboard).

>> The webbrowsing facility too.. :)  I doubt if anyone _really_ need a
>> such thing in their filebrowser IMO.

     Ahh, a Windows 98 user! :-)

> Thank you for pointing out our oversight on look and feel.
> I agree with you that this is an important area. I will see
> that it gets incorporated into the survey questions.

     These are interesting questions. Given the range of user paradigms
available in linux (TWM, KDE, Enlightenment, etc...), it may be
difficult, and perhaps inappropriate, to decide on the 'ideal' paradigm,
particularly as needs will differ and we've already seen what happens
when an OS tries to be everything to everyone (Win 4.x) and the bloat
that ensues.
     Seems to me that linux has always been about choice. Choice of what
to put in the kernel, choice of desktop paradigm, choice of software,
choice of distribution. Perhaps a larger question that has to be
addressed before linux can truly become more of a mainstrean OS is how
to make these choices easier to make, such that not only more good
information is available, but that choices can be 'backed out' in the
sense that if I don't like Foo 4.5, that I can change to Bar 8.0 without
having to do a lot of work - remembering that many mainstream users
don't want to hack around to get stuff to work. Mind you, once folks
become more comfortable and competent, they will probably want to.
(Recall the .sig explaining the difference between Win95 and linux -
"Win95, I can play Doom ... linux: I can run a web server, ftp server,
and still play Doom"). I understand that RPM's are used to this purpose,
but haven't used them yet.
     This issue may not apply to the survey, I guess, but it may be
something to think about.

     Cheers,

     Pete

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete_st_onge@iname.com         http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052