Re: [seul-sci] For comments: .DOC

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:26:02AM +0000, xcalbet@inm.es wrote:

>   The MS Word format is THE LAST real barrier for Linux to enter the
> desktop. This problem will probably never be solved since MS will always
> keep on changing the specs of their formats so the others have to play
> catch up. The only real solution is to change over to another non MS
> format, but this does not seem feasible now.
>
>   Currently there is no other format as "good" and extended as MS Word
> format to substitute it. Here is a brief overview of what I think

<snip>

One you don't mention, or do so only in a tangental fashion: SGML in
general, and DocBook in particular. It's as general (or _more_ general)
than Word, and has he advantage of being a standard format, independent
of any particular app. LyX used to have a DocBook mode, in fact (I think
it hasn't been kept current with the latest DicBook spec., but I could
be wrong)

There's even a move to write an XML version of the DocBook DTD, so the
buzz for all things XML may help us wean people away from proprietary
formats. In fact, a good, general structured text editor that can read
and edit arbitrary XML documents given their DTD is the next killer app.,
in my opinion. Someone know of one?

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer