Re: [tor-dev] Post-quantum proposals #269 and #270

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 08:32:43PM +0100, lukep@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Great to see the community making progress with post-quantum handshakes.  But
> I'm wondering what's going to happen with Proposals #269 and #270.

If you consult the current proposal-status.txt in the torspec repository [0],
you will find the following: "Currently needs revision to specify how this
proposal depends upon prop#269."

> #269 seems
> to allow any post-quantum algorithm to be used in the hybrid with NTRUEncrypt
> and NewHope being specified as two options (presumably other options like
> SIDH or Mceliece could also be used). #270 is more specific, a hybrid of
> x25519 and NewHope. NewHope seems to be in the lead but do we want to rule
> others - so a flexible proposal like #269 might be better. #269 and #270 look
> as if they would not be compatible with each other so what's the process for
> deciding between them?

Cheers,

Henry de Valence

[0]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/diff/proposals/proposal-status.txt?id=875fdaecd544bd477edfa3ee98ec7458f53583ed