Re: [tor-dev] Alternative Implementations of Tor

> On 18 Aug 2016, at 05:23, Nathan Freitas <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016, at 11:01 AM, Alexander Færøy wrote:
>> There is, to my knowledge, currently only one implementation of Tor that
>> is actively in use on the production network, which is the C
>> implementation. I'm aware of a Haskell implementation made by Galois,
>
> Not sure how widely implemented it is, but Orchid was a formally
> implemented version of Tor in Java, by the Toronto-based Subgraph group:
> https://subgraph.com/orchid/index.en.html
>
> It was, at one point, integrated into the Martus human rights
> documentation platform.
>
> The developers are likely on this list, or if not, easily reachable to
> ask for any lessons learned.

Tor uses the version in the platform string to detect features, so some alternative implementations claim to be a particular Tor version.
Other alternative implementations might not report a version at all.

At the moment, I see the following platforms reported on the network:

Tor 0.2.4.19 on Windows XP,65833
Tor 0.2.9.1-alpha-dev on OpenBSD,1928192
node-Tor 0.1.0 on Linux x86_64,168444

So it appears that node-Tor is still going strong. And everything else just wants to blend in.

A stem script to generate the full list is:

-----

import sys
from stem.descriptor.remote import DescriptorDownloader

def get_bw_to_platform():
  bw_to_platform = {}
  downloader = DescriptorDownloader()
  try:
    for desc in downloader.get_server_descriptors().run():
      if bw_to_platform.has_key(desc.platform):
        bw_to_platform[desc.platform] += desc.observed_bandwidth
      else:
        bw_to_platform[desc.platform] = desc.observed_bandwidth
  except Exception as exc:
    print("Unable to retrieve the server descriptors: %s" % exc)
  return bw_to_platform

bw_to_platform = get_bw_to_platform()
for platform in sorted(bw_to_platform.keys()):
  print("%s,%i" % (platform, bw_to_platform[platform]))

-----

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com