Re: [tor-dev] atlas.torproject.org question

On 6/29/13 7:19 PM, me@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> - Is this an Atlas fork or a rewrite?  Are you planning to contribute
>> your changes to Atlas, or do you want to run this as a new project?  In
>> the former case, please be sure to talk to Arturo or Sathya (both are on
>> this list).  In the latter case, please let me know when your tool is
>> deployed, and I'll keep you posted about future Onionoo procotol changes.
>
> I don't know if you could call it a fork. The only part i used was the
> d3.js rendering part because i never really worked with that before.
> I never had the opportunity to work on a Backbone project so I don't
> know if is useful if i contribute to it without having knowledge about
> backbone best practices.

Sounds like a rewrite then.  That's fine!  One idea behind splitting up
Tor status websites into a data providing part (Onionoo) and a data
presenting part (Atlas, Compass) was that it's supposed to be easy to
replace either part.  Happy to see this happening here!  (Will keep you
posted about future Onionoo protocol changes.)

>> - Are you interested in enhancing Atlas or your tool even more?  There
>> are quite a few tickets open, where #6320 seems most urgent:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?component=Atlas&status=!closed
>>

> Thanks, I'm going to look into. :) I implemented the sha1 hashed
> fingerprints in the ember version. It's really easy using jsSHA.js
> (https://github.com/Caligatio/jsSHA/tree/release-1.42). Here is my
> implementation:
> https://github.com/makepanic/emberjs-tor-onionoo/blob/master/public/js/helpers/util.js#L9

Okay.  Looking forward to seeing your tool display Onionoo's bridge details!

> btw i released it on github some minutes ago.
> The source is available here:
> https://github.com/makepanic/emberjs-tor-onionoo
> And a live version via github-pages here:
> http://makepanic.github.io/emberjs-tor-onionoo/

That's pretty neat!  I just opened two minor issues.

> If there is anything wrong with the name or Tor mention please tell me.

Nothing wrong from a legal perspective (IANAL), but Tor Onionoo Search
isn't as catchy as it could be.  Hmm, how about picking one of Atlas'
children's names (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_%28mythology%29)
for your project?  Greek mythology is full of fun project names.

In any case, you should tell tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx about your
project, probably in a new thread.

This also sounds like a fine project to mention in the first issue of
Tor Weekly News.  Feel free to add a paragraph there:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews/2013/0

Great stuff!

Best,
Karsten