Re: [tor-dev] Tor Launcher settings UI feedback request

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Lunar <lunar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark Smith:
>> http://trial.pearlcrescent.com/tor/torlauncher/2013-05-03/SetupWizard/wizard-all.png
>> (composite of all of the wizard panels).
>
> "If you are not sure how to answer this question, look at the Internet
> settings in another browser to see whethever you are using a proxy":
> I have a feeling this might not be the best advice. Asking users to open
> another browser enhance the likelyhood of them making mistakes.
> I remember Firefox being able to dig connection settings in other
> browsers. Can't such piece of code reused to get a suggestion?

It would be great if we could add some code to check whether or not
the user is using a proxy. If this is not possible, we will have to
think about some text for this screen that does not confuse anyone or
lead to mistakes.

> "Enter a comma-separated list of ports that are allowed by your
> firewall": I find the "your firewall" pretty ironic for most cases
> I know. One's university firewall will not be exactly theirs.

I guess "the" might be a better fit.

> Should pluggable transports be mentioned in any ways?

I don't think we should confuse users too much by listing all the
different options they have for connecting (no bridge, bridge, obfs2,
obfs3).

> Should the short user manual be added to this picture somewhere?

We could link to it, just like we're linking to bridges.tpo and
bridges@tpo. Other options might be to include it in the bundle or
re-use the text as part of a help screen.

--
Runa A. Sandvik