Re: [tor-dev] Tor Launcher UI feedback follow up

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 09:47:19AM -0400, Tom Ritter wrote:
> My network operator does not threaten my person safety

1) This is also the first point I thought of here -- in the past we've
said that some people should be using a bridge for an extra layer of
"it's not so obvious that I'm using Tor", rather than just because they
need one to get around filtering.

That said, these days most places that filter can also figure out
that you're using a Tor bridge, or obfs2 or obfs3, even if only
retroactively. We don't have the "I look just like web browsing, no
matter how closely you look" holy grail in place, and it will be a long
time until we do. So I don't think we should spend too much energy here
distinguishing between the people who need bridges for reachability,
and the people who need bridges for safety.

2) I really like the "Configure" and "Connect" word choices. Hopefully
our users will get it too. :)

3) As for which order to present the options in, I agree with Tom that
Connect makes more sense on top. Tor has hundreds of thousands of users,
and most of them have no idea what a bridge is. I expect the help desk
will get flooded with "I tried to run your thing and I clicked on the
first thing and now it doesn't work help" mails if we leave Configure as
the top thing to click on. "I wanted to make all the users read it in case
it applied to them" is alas a poor reason for interrupting the user flow.

Thanks!
--Roger