Re: [tor-dev] onionoo resource requirements

Hi Luke,

>Django (and by implication, python) are an accepted technology
>at tor, but as much as I wish it would be different, the tor web
>infrastructure is still based on python 2.7 (basically, you can
>only depend on whatever is in wheezy and wheezy-backports if
>you want something to run on tor's infrastructure). Of course if
>you don't intend for your project to ever replace tor's own onionoo
>deployment, that doesn't matter.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think that won't be a big problem as this isn't intended to be a replacement. If it ends up being a fruitful experiment then it's a success. It's a success if it demonstrates some improvement over the currently deployed design. If I stay away from python3 then the main difference is the use of postgresql+pgbouncer/pgpool. My instincts are telling me that python3 is needed for aiohttp to demonstrate that asynchronous io, lightweight concurrency, and various
database optimizations can yield improvements. If the results end up meriting reproduction then virtual environments can be used for testing without breaking existing infrastructure.

>PS: I'm also going to take this opportunity to plug my onionoo
>client library that you can use to check that your onionoo clone
>performs to spec ;-) https://github.com/duk3luk3/onion-py

I saw that. I'll definitely keep it in mind for comparison. Thanks again.

--leeroy