[tor-dev] shipping with fallbackdir sources

Hi, a couple questions about fallback directories.

On 4/17/15, Peter Palfrader <weasel at torproject.org> wrote:
> We want them to have been around and using their current key, address,
> and port for a while now (120 days), and have been running, a guard, and
> a v2 directory mirror for most of that time.

In the script (and proposal 206) a candidate for fallback uses the orport. When is the http directory connection used? Is it just for backwards compatibility?

Does the directory address being different not matter? A candidate can only be or-address+orport?

If the document is signed why is bootstrapping using the or-address+or-port for candidates a key consideration? Aren't the clients going to switch to guards and tunneled dir-connections anyway? (Unless configured otherwise) In a worst-case the client would still use bridges if tor is blocked--and it doesn't look like the fallback-dir are being considered for this case anyway.

Is there more documentation somewhere?

Thank-you

--leeroy