Re: [tor-dev] Summary of meek's costs, April 2015

Mike Perry wrote:
David Fifield:
Here's the summary of meek's CDN fees for April 2015.

total by CDN  $3292.25 + $3792.79 + $0.00 = $7085.04 grand total
https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-transport.html?graph=userstats-bridge-transport&start=2015-02-01&end=2015-04-30&transport=meek

Yikes! Are these costs covered by a grant or anything? Should we be
running a donations campaign?

If you want to help reduce costs, you can
1. Use meek-azure; it's still covered through a grant for the next four
    months.
2. Set up your own App Engine or CDN account. Then you can pay for your
    own usage (it might even be free depending on how much you use).
    Here are instructions on how to set up your own:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/meek.git/tree/appengine/README https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek#AmazonCloudFront https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek#MicrosoftAzure
    Then you will have to enter a bridge line manually. Follow the
    instructions at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek#Howtochangethefrontdomain
    but instead of changing the "front=" part, change the "url=" part.
    For example,
bridge meek 0.0.2.0:1 url=https://<myappname>.appspot.com/ front=www.google.com

Please let me know if anyone takes you up on this!

I am happy to add the meek bridges of anyone who does this as an option
in Tor Browser. We can add logic to round robin or randomly select
between the set of meek providers for a given meek type upon first
install, or even for every browser startup.

If there were some randomization logic included, I'd be happy to contribute an App Engine or Amazon meek access point. If a few people did that, the costs might be more manageable. But also the stats might be a bit harder to aggregate (which might be important if David is writing a thesis/paper/etc).

  Either way, way to go =)

best,
Griffin

--
âSometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.â
â Dr. Seuss