Re: [tor-dev] recreated website png diagrams as svg

On 11/09/2013 06:20 PM, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
They weren't copied from an EFF presentation, they were
made by the EFF for us. You can find the originals inside
https://media.torproject.org/image/official-images/tor_design_archive.zip

I've added them to the site image directory for now.

Awesome. There's lots of raster diagrams there. There are eps versions of the three EFF ones I remade, but they seem to contain many binary blobs and I couldn't find the text therein as actual text. It might be vector markup, sure, but that's much lower level than an svg's text and font statements. Besides, eps isn't a format easily supported natively by any browser, whereas svg is practically designed for this purpose. (I'm still not sure what wml is and why it should be preferred. Does this have something to do with the framework of the site and how it is rendered?)

To me there seems to be two purposes: 1) remake the illustrations in a format such that the included text can be easily automatically translated and 2) use vector graphics, raster being somewhat retrogressive. [1]

I used inkscape for the three images I remade and don't necessarily consider them the best/final versions. As a programmer, I'm more comfortable with an expressive language like TikZ that can be rendered to svg than a wysiwyg editor.

Justin

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Preparing_images_for_upload