Re: [tor-dev] Tor Relays on Whonix Gateway

On 2016-10-17 10:24, isis agora lovecruft wrote:
bancfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx transcribed 1.7K bytes:
On 2016-10-17 03:04, teor wrote:
>>On 7 Oct 2016, at 08:11, bancfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>Should Whonix document/encourage end users to turn clients into relays
>>on their machines?
>
>Probably not:
>* it increases the attack surface,
>* it makes their IP address public,
>* the relays would be of variable quality.
>
>Why not encourage them to run bridge relays instead, if their connection
>is
>fast enough?

Good idea. We are waiting for snowflake bridge transport to be ready and we plan to enable it by default on Whonix Gateway. Its optimal because no port forwarding is needed or changes to firewall settings (because VMs connect
from behind virtual NATs).

You're planning to enable "ServerTransportPlugin snowflake" on Whonix Gateways by default? And then "ClientTransportPluging snowflake" on workstations
behind the gateway?

I was planning to enable the server by default (I thought WebRTC was P2P though) but after looking at it some more I don't think it's a good idea.

Not everyone is in a position to run a bridge because they may be living in a censored area themselves. It might also make Whonix users stand out if it was a default. Also Snowflake servers may actully be exposing themselves to privacy risks which is not something we are prepared to do:

"A popular privacy measure advocated to certain classes of users (eg: those that use VPN systems) has been to disable WebRTC due to the potential privacy impact. While this is not a concern for Tor Browser users using snowflake as a transport, there is a segment of people that view WebRTC as harmful to anonymity, and the volunteers that are contributing bandwidth are exposed to such risks. "

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/SnowFlakeEvaluation

***

Offtopic: I think a pluggable transport thats implemented with bittorrent would be awesome because of how widespread the protocol is and because of the existing infrastructure out there that users can potentially bootstrap off of if seed servers volunteer to run a bridge sever/facilitator.