Re: Tor client performance (was Re: URGENT: patch needed ASAP for authority bug)

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Attached is that patch. It only applies against git head, so if you
> prefer tarballs, check out
> http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.2.2.12-alpha-dev.tar.gz

at least the situation has changed :-)

On my tiny middleman "Ilka" the number of open tcp sessions dropped from
10k to less than 500 and so far not going to increase again. Good! This
should solve most router problems for residential users.

The situation on my exit "blutmagie" is somewhat different. Number of
open tcp sessions dropped as well. On the other hand ratio of new
connections per second increased. So far I'm not sure how throughput/cpu
load ratio is affected. Roger's patch has been started this morning at
07:30 local time. Pls look here http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/public_mrtg/

By now I no longer consider the cpu load issue being a bug. It looks
like even a fast Intel E8600 cpu can't cope with blutmagie's exit
traffic. Investing in new hardware won't help either as long as nearly
all cpu time is spent within the main thread.

Olaf