Re: [tor-relays] Setting up a "hidden" exit node

On 2011-08-08, Joel Hobson <hobs2820@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm an undergraduate student working as a research assistant for the
> summer. My current task is to figure out a way to measure delay caused
> by individual nodes (we want to replicate this paper:
> http://cis.poly.edu/~ross/papers/Tor.pdf). It seems to me that the
> easiest way of accomplishing this would be to run an exit node and
> construct a two-hop circuit to it.
>
> OP ------> Node to be measured -------> Exit node
>
> Since the OP and exit node are under my control, I could measure the
> time it takes for any packets to reach the exit node from the OP. I want
> to be the only one who can use this exit node so I don't have to worry
> about getting approval from the school to run an exit node (could be
> time-consuming).  I realize this is pretty far from any design goals the
> developers have, but is there some way of running a hidden exit node?
> One that doesn't appear on any directory server (PublishServerDescriptor
> 0 might work)****, but can still be used if you know its IP address? The
> Tor Control Protocol makes it easy enough to create a custom circuit
> (discussed here: http://thesprawl.org/memdump/?entry=8), but it won't
> accept IP addresses for nodes. I can put an IP in exitnodes in the torrc
> file, but exitnodes doesn't seem to have any effect, even when
> StrictExitNodes is set.

* Configure the exit node with 'PublishServerDescriptor 0'.

* Retrieve its 'server descriptor' using the control-port command
'GETINFO desc/id/<fingerprint of your exit node, as a hex string with
no spaces or leading "$">'.

* Add the descriptor for your exit node to your Tor client by sending
the following to your client's control port:
+POSTDESCRIPTOR purpose=general cache=no
<put the descriptor here>
.

* Build circuits using the client's control port.

For more information, see control-spec.txt in
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree ..

Robert Ransom