Re: [tor-relays] Is it safe to run an exit node from a VPS provider?

> I would like to propose that you take a look from a different perspective (and
> I thought from the mail subject the question will be about that) on this.
>
> To run an exit node from a VPS provider is not safer -- TO YOU -- than running
> an exit node from your personal home connection.
>
> This man[1] had his house raided and his computers confiscated because of a
> Tor Exit node that he was running **NOT EVEN AT HOME** but in a datacenter, in
> a different country, on a server that he was renting (of course in his name).
>
> From what I gather from discussions surrounding that incident, the only
> reasonably safe way (again - to you) to run an Exit Node, is to do so on an IP
> range that's SWIPed to an LLC or a similar company, and not just has one
> physical person (you) responsible for it.

Some providers accept Bitcoin, cash, MO's and the like. Alternatively,
companies in general (even small LLC's) often have lawyers, who have
formal business offices, and will often let/encourage all business registration,
whois, banking, etc... the use of that physical address while they are on
retainer under concerns as to legitimate privacy, mobile convenience, and
proper familiar and legal response to process of service.