Re: [tor-relays] My Relay has slowed significantly.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Roman Mamedov <rm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

It looks like your node got the "Guard" status - google around for what that
means, or wait for someone to explain. When that happens, your traffic drops
significantly, and it can take weeks or months till it recovers to initial
levels, if it ever will at all.
Why would traffic fall after becoming a guard node? Aren't guard nodes selected as middle nodes too?Â

Personally I don't agree with the theory behind "Guards", and it is highly
annoying that there is no way to prevent nodes from becoming Guard.
What don't you agree with? With the fact that Tor sticks to a set of three nodes for the first hop of each circuit, or with the way the guard flag is awarded to nodes?Â