Re: [tor-relays] 1 circuit using 1.5Gig or ram? [0.3.3.2-alpha]

Hi Tor & Others,

On 12 Feb 2018, at 20:29, tor wrote:

I see this occasionally. It's not specific to 0.3.3.x. I reported it back in October 2017:

Thx, I more or less added the version in the subject to clearly indicate it was on an alpha release

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-October/013328.html

Roger replied here:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-October/013334.html

Ah thanks, not sure why my google kung-fu missed this one.

MaxMemInQueues is set to 1.5 GB by default, which is why the problematic circuit uses that much RAM before its killed. You can lower MaxMemInQueues in torrc, however that will obviously have other impacts on your relay. If you have plenty of RAM, I'd maybe just leave things alone for now since Tor is already killing the circuit.

My tornodes have 4Gig or ram, so I also put the MaxMemInQueues at 1,5G whilst the (D)DoS attacks were more troublesome (wasn't aware it was the default).

I agree in theory some mitigation against this would be nice, but I'm not smart enough to offer anything specific. It seems Roger and other devs are already thinking about the issue.

Not a coder myself (except some scripting)

For those looking for the paper as well, the original URL gives a 403, I believe this is a copy (alterations or omitted slides can't check of course) http://www.robgjansen.com/talks/sniper-dcaps-20131011.pdf

Thx,
Stijn