Re: [tor-relays] plans to require ContactInfo to be non-empty

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:00:21 +0000
Emilian Ursu <emu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What? Rejected from what? Does one have to earn the right
> to commit time and resources for helping the network?

Point is that by running tons of relays without proper MyFamily set, you are
not helping the network, you are actively harming it, by putting users'
anonymity at risk. See the full explanation:

https://medium.com/@nusenu/some-tor-relays-you-might-want-to-avoid-5901597ad821

Maybe you do this by mistake, or maybe you are maliciously trying to
deanonymize users by correlating their traffic, how do we know. If there are
strong suspicions to the latter, then Tor directory authorities may blacklist
such group of relays from joining the network -- that's for the "rejected"
part.

As for the wording, I suppose it's a mostly fruitless task, and at some point
it can slip through that you feel there's no point in writing yet another of
these mails if barely anyone is responding or acting accordingly anyways. So
maybe this can result in somewhat blunt or succinct wording in a few of those.

--
With respect,
Roman