Re: [tor-relays] Tor and Freenode

Am 24.01.2015 um 14:28 schrieb David Serrano:
> On 2015-01-24 12:48:18 (+0100), Markus Hitter wrote:
>>
>> http://www.freenode.org/irc_servers.shtml#tor
>
> Besides the snippet you quoted, that page says "The primary Tor hidden service
> address for freenode is frxleqtzgvwkv7oz.onion". This is how Freenode welcomes
> tor users.

Thanks for pointing this out, I indeed snipped some of the text there. The reason I did is, it bugged me less that one needs to do extra steps to connect anonymously. That's mostly expected.

What bugs me is that it's apparently impossible or at least severely restricted to participate in IRC the normal, non-tor way and to run a Tor relay at the same time. This doesn't match well, IMHO.

Trying this .onion address results in this:

[14:54] * Looking up frxleqtzgvwkv7oz.onion
[14:54] * Unknown host. Maybe you misspelled it?

I take that .onion addresses are available through Tor, only. And even when going through Tor Freenode still requires user authentication by SASL, which is not anonymous, because you have to get this account through a normal connection. Not to mention all the hassles required for running two networks in parallel on one router or PC and the extra load for the Tor network.

Am 24.01.2015 um 14:30 schrieb Lukas Erlacher:

> I recommend you reread freenode's explanations carefully.

I did, and the still open question is, doesn't mean restricting ports 80, 443 and the IRC ones make running the relay a pretty useless operation? Without all these ports, which kinds of communication are left?

Markus