Re: [tor-relays] Combined relay and hidden service, good idea or not?

On 2018-01-08 19:54, Alain Wolf wrote:
I think the real issue here is once more the wording "hidden service"
for something which is, in your case, not intended to be hidden.

I believe thats why the term "Onion Service" was introduced.

Indeed. I use Onion Service when starting a conversation, but when Hidden Service is already in use, it seems to be less confusing to stick with the terminology being used in the existing thread.

A foolproof solution would be, that a relay complains and refuses to
start if a "hidden onion service" is configured on the same instance.
But would run without warning with "public onion services".

I have no idea if a distinction between "public" and "hidden" onion
services is planned or if its just change of wording until now.

I don't think there is a technical difference between and "Onion" vs "Hidden" service, although there is obviously a huge real-world difference.