Re: [tor-relays] Call for discussion: turning funding into more exit relays

Hi Roger,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:58:54PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Open questions we need to decide about:
>
> 1) What exactly would we pay for?
>
> I think the right way to do it is to offer to reimburse bandwidth/hosting
> costs -- I don't want to get into the business of paying people to
> run relays, and I don't want people to be trying to figure out how to
> "profit". That leads to all sorts of horrible incentive structures.

You might also consider matching operator investment in a relay
(similar to employer charity donation matching programs that exist in
the States). I would continue to be willing to contribute my own money
even with sponsor dollars, but with matching my relay would be able to
take more advantage of the economics of scale. In addition, if the
funding suddenly dries up, the exit node doesn't immediately die, it
just goes back to the original capacity I'm comfortable funding
myself.

\t