Re: [tor-relays] Strange Traffic behaviour

Tobias Sachs:
>> Hetzner hosts > 7% of the tor network capacity (#3 on the biggest ASes on the tor network).

their actual fraction might be even bigger because I used onionoo
data to attribute relays to specific ASes and onionoo didn't
switch to a better IP->AS number source yet (so some relays have missing AS level data like yours
as you can see on Relay Search)

>> If I know the relays IP I could give you the probabilities of your relay
>> relaying traffic to others in the same AS (since a relay will usually not
>> be used with others in the same /16 netblock)
> So that means the same-as protection is a check that it is not the same /16 Block? That would make sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by "same-as protection", do you want to elaborate?

> Hetzner is holding 17 /16 and smaller netblocks. So it is possible that the complete route is within one AS? o.O

The (BGP) routing itself does not have any affect on the /16 netblock rule in tor.

> The IP is: 159.69.2.239

In your /16 netblock (159.69.0.0/16) there are only 7 relays
with a total of 0.169% consensus weight fraction
(so the fraction of this should not really matter
compared to the overall fraction of Hetzner)

btw: please set a proper MyFamily on your relays
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/contact:0x4cf76925833e2e24
--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu