Re: [tor-relays] Metrics for assessing EFF's Tor relay challenge?

On 27/03/14 19:51, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Karsten Loesing <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Before going through your list of things we'd want to track below, let's
>> first talk about our options to turn a list of fingerprints into fancy
>> graphs:
>
> Would it be possible to also have a "Top 10 countries with the most
> Tor relays" graph?

Hi Runa!

Hmm hmm hmm---yes!  Onionoo's details documents contain country
information, and it shouldn't be too hard to combine them with uptime or
bandwidth information to make per-country graphs.

(Wow, your question made me rethink how we resolve relay/bridge IP
addresses to country codes for statistics.  I was always thinking that
we need to remember the full history of country codes that a
relay/bridge IP address was resolved to, because a relay/bridge could be
moved to another country, or a new IP-to-country database might change
its mind about which country it is in.  But that doesn't really matter
for statistics where we're mostly interested in the big picture.  We can
probably just use whatever country code we learned last and apply that
to the full history of the relay/bridge.  Guess I should resume working
on per-country graphs for the metrics website soon, for both relays and
bridges.  Thanks!)

(Disclaimer: it's pre-second coffee time!)

All the best,
Karsten