Re: Nuked my keyfiles

On 5/23/2010 4:29 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:21:53AM -0400, Aplin, Justin M wrote:
I recently uninstalled the 0.2.1.25-0.2.7 package from my Windows
machine using the built-in uninstall utility and upgraded to the latest
alpha build (I've had issues installing one version on top of the other
before) and I totally forgot to look and see whether the uninstall
utility planned on nuking my Data Directory (it did).
Hm. I wonder if that's a bug. If you apt-get remove tor on debian,
it leaves your key files behind, right? Or I wonder if *that*'s a bug,
since leaving private keys sitting about isn't so good either.
It was my fault. In the Windows uninstall utility, you get asked which components you want to remove. If you expand "Tor" and "Vidalia", there's a separate checkbox under each for "Application Data", which removes the Tor and Vidalia directories from %homepath%\Application Data, respectively. I didn't expand these options in my hasty uninstall, not thinking about my keyfiles, and they're checked by default for a "complete" uninstall. Oops.
Of course, I never
made a backup of my keyfiles (bad japlin!), so I'm now operating with
new keys and new fingerprints. Besides changing the myfamily option on
my other relays to reflect the current fingerprint, what should I do at
this point? I remember when I first set up my relays, the documentation
recommended sending an email in a specific format to tor-ops, but I
can't find anything about it anymore. Is this no longer necessary? Am I
good just sitting tight?
You're fine. We abandoned the whole "mail your fingerprint in" thing
years ago.

Thanks!
--Roger
Good to know. Updating my other relays now =)

~japlin