Re: Nuked my keyfiles

On 5/23/2010 5:40 AM, Moritz Bartl wrote:

I consider this a "bug". Uninstall should leave your keyfiles behind unless the user explicitly confirms it.

There's not much consensus on this among Windows software developers. Often, files that get left behind in the user's Application Data folder (sometimes quite large/numerous) after an uninstall get ridiculed as being the mark of "crappy software". Because most Windows users, honestly, have no idea what is going on in their computers most of the time, all they hear is that "stuff" is getting "left behind", and hence you see the option in plenty of crappy "PC Tune-Up" packages to clear some of these files out.

Of course, if we make it easy on these users and purge the installation, config files and all, then the next time they reinstall and use it they complain about how "all my stuff is gone".

Needless to say, anyone running a tor relay is above this level, but it's interesting to note that in recent years the trend has been shifting from "leave the config files in case they're needed again" to "purge everything so it doesn't get complained about".

~japlin