[tor-relays] Actual user demographics?

The counter they made has a good point, that you really don't know who is using it; but to suggest that means it's entirely used by criminals is also ridiculous.
What can be known is *how* TOR is being used by setting up studies at exits and seeing what kind of services people are connecting to.  From that, some inference of *who* is using TOR is possible.  Maybe it's the same guy buying cocaine from a black market seller that posts articles on a civil rights abuses site, but it would be silly to make that assumption.

From the usage stats I've seen, the TOR website paints a prettier picture than the truth, but at the same time opponents paint a significantly darker one.